Sometimes you’ve just got to get away. Truckee-Tahoe is a lovely place to do it, but if you’re going to stay safe and have fun, there are a few things you should know before you hit the road.
Here are 4 things you need to know.
#1 – Check the Weather Before You Leave
It’s never a good time to get snowed in or to get stranded on the side of the road while a snow storm rages.
We recommend checking the forecast for the roads you’ll be driving on. The California and Nevada Departments of Transportation are your best bets here, as is the California Highway patrol. Here are the links:
- The CA Department of Transportation Travel Alert Quick Map
- The Nevada Department of Transportation Road Conditions Report
- The CA Highway Patrol on Facebook
- The CA Highway Patrol on Twitter
Check them all, because what one organization doesn’t catch, another will.
The resort snow forecasts are also vital! We recommend visiting OpenSnow.com to get the latest and most up-to-date information.
#2 – Don’t Overpack
Your car will need to be full of your emergency gear and things you’ll need for your mini-vacation, so save some space. Our rentals are stocked with several items already and you should be aware of them so you don’t waste valuable cargo room.
- The kitchen is stocked. We have items like meat thermometers, KitchenAid mixers, rice cookers, Keurigs, coffee makers, Kcups with good coffee, tea, and decaff coffee as well.
- We also include olive oil and spices in our kitchens.
We cover you with additional flashlights, batteries, and candles in the event of an emergency.
#3 – Prepare Your Car
There can be surprises even with the best weather reports, especially in the mountains. You should make sure you have anything you need for a sudden emergency. This includes:
- A full tank of gas. Stop before you head over the summit.
- Warm clothes.
- Solar battery chargers for cell phones.
- Chains and cables. Put chains on your driving tires, and practice putting them on before you come.
- A collapsible shovel to dig your car out of the snow if need be.
- A flashlight and headlamp.
- Windshield wiper fluid should be low-temp and full.
- Ice melt, a small amount.
- A soft brush to remove snow from your car. Make sure to remove it from the roof too.
- An ice scraper for car windshields and windows.
- A lock de-icer which you’ll carry outside the car if you need a key to unlock your car.
- Shoe/boot chains/crampons. We recommend Yaktrax.
In addition to carrying these items, you should check your tires: make sure they’re not bald and replace them if necessary.
#4 – Print Your Directions
You should know that Google Maps is not very reliable up here. GPS goes out. Cell signals go out. Often your phone won’t have any idea where you are. You’re likely to get lost without a printed guide. We also recommend bringing a map or an Atlas, a printed, physical one, in case you get lost.
We’re happy to have you!
We’re excited that you’re thinking about getting away from home with us. Truckee and Tahoe are beautiful at this time of year and once you get here we know you’ll have a relaxing experience. We look forward to seeing you! Haven’t booked yet?